Friday, March 2, 2012

AC loves DC - weird cover of the week #9

I do.
Marvel is wonderful, and many of my favorite comic book moments feature the Hulk, Daredevil or Spidey, buuut...
I am a DC guy. Batman and Supes were it for this little kid(though I always felt Webhead rounded out those two nicely) 'til Swampy came along and took the #1 spot - he grows on you, what can I say?


DC was at a real high during the 1980's.
Covers like this one evoke a more naive, but intensely creative period for the company - HIGHS like Watchmen, Ronin, Sandman, The New Teen Titans ...and a certain non-stop award-winning shambling mockery of a man..
Fact is, my young teenager self was more in the comic world than reality..
damn, that cheesy decade was fun.

I always find Swampy looks like some sort of team mascot in these mix-em-up covers, but he fits for some reason  ..weird eh?

A.

3 comments:

  1. Swampy is standing with Blue Devil, one of my all-time favorite characters! Combine the blue and the green... I call this cover a winner!

    The Irredeemable Shag
    http://firestormfan.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember buying BLUE DEVIL #1 way back ..he's just a fun character..
    hmmm ...that might make a great Hallowe'en costume actually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat Broderick Blue Devil? Woo-hoo!

    ReplyDelete