Tuesday, October 14, 2014

REVIEW: Swamp Thing #33 Sept//2014

"The Wolf and the Lady: Pt.1"

I am loving Swamp Thing again.
"Holy shit, I look good today."
I think Charles Soule and Javier Pina are an incredible team, and are finally putting out a comic book truly worthy of it's title. We have an extremely interesting supporting cast, and a storyline that is not only engaging but well-paced too. I care about Cappucine, and I'm intrigued by "The Wolf" and "Lady Weeds" while scared of what they might do to poor Swampy.
This Alec Holland Swamp Thing is a different cat than we've seen before - or is he?
I find the character to be closest to the version Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson created. He's sarcastic, emotional and occasionally naive - having not actually done any of this before, and he's making for such an interesting hero. I adore this character more than any other fictional character ever created, but even I was getting tired of the heavy-handed-eternal-avatar persona. I like this new Swamp Thing a lot and what a pleasure to see him under the pencil of Javier Pina...


Now don't get me wrong - I still HATE the f'ed up continuity of DC's New 52, but this is truly the best Swamp Thing comic book since the glory days in the '80s.

Swamp Thing #33 will most likely have the same effect on you it had on me - where's #34?

Cheers, AC

No comments:

Post a Comment